Saturday, May 5, 2012

Yester Year WIP

Quilt Monster in my ClosetIt Happened in 1968 

  • North Vietnam and Viet Cong troops launch the Tet offensive
  • Assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.
  • President Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1968
  • Earthquake in Sicily
  • Redwood National Park is created in California to protect the Giant Redwoods
  • Aristotle Onassis and Jacqueline Kennedy marry
  • The Gateway Arch in St. Louis is dedicated
  • Boeing 747 made its maiden flight.
  • NASA launches Apollo 7, the first manned Apollo mission
  •  Allen K Breed invents an air bag that deploys and inflates automatically on violent impact using nitrogen gas.
  • Apollo 8 orbits the Moon, becoming the first manned space mission to achieve the feat.
  • Dr. Christian Barnard performs the first successful heart transplant.
  • US Explodes experimental hydrogen Bomb.
  • The Emergency 911 Telephone service is started in the USA which provides a single number for reporting emergencies and is manned 24 hrs per day 365 days per year
  • ATM First Philadelphia Bank installs the first automated teller machine in the U.S. 
  • The first Big Mac goes on sale in McDonalds costing 49 cents
  • The Beatles create Apple Records and record "Hey Jude" as the first single on the label
  • The CBS television news magazine program "60 Minutes" shown for the first time
  • Cleveland Fabric Shop changes its name to Fabri-Centers of America, Inc. and changes shop names to JoAnn Fabrics
  • Beverly starts her Gingham Rick-Rack Log Cabin Quilt


All the strips are cut for me- its almost like getting a jelly roll




Fast forward to 2012 as
           Bobbie attempts to complete Bevy's Gingham Rick-Rack Quilt!
I actually haven't started stitching anything yet, but plan to do some this weekend! I really love the gingham fabric with the faux rick-rack and will probably add some real rick rack to the finished quilt/quilts! Thank you Christine for the challenge!


Have a Great Weekend!
                               TTFN! Bobbie (who is still trying to make a cute signature line)
PS. the date may not be exact- I think Bevy said she started this when she was 16 or so.
Also I was trying to find the cost of fabric in the 60's but didnt come acrross anything, so if anyone has a link please let me know. All my info came from: http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1968.html


4 comments:

Christine L said...

WOW 1968!!! That is a serious Yester Year project! I am PROUD OF YOU!!!!! They say Jelly Rolls are new, but I don't think so...You just proved they aren't..hehe. Have fun with this project and I look forward to seeing the progress! Hugs - Thank you for linking up!!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You've taken on quite a challenge but you will end up with a wonderful quilt. I don't know what the cost of fabric was in 1968 but it I know it was a whole lot cheaper than it is today.

Cindy Sharp said...

My mom has spme fabric from the 70's. It still has tags on it from the mill where she bought it. I don't think it was more than a dollar a yard.

Yeah for you for picking up the project again.

Unknown said...

Wow! I think this one is older than I am! It looks great!