Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sewing Expo


My Sweet Mommie, Sister Mine and I took off for the Sewing Expo bright and early Friday morning. (Sewing Music here,)For those who know Sister Mine and me, that is a daunting thought. Whenever Sister Mine and I are in the same vehicle -the vehicle gets lost! We don't have to be driving, we don't have to be navigating, we just have to be in the car together and that vehicle will get lost! On this trip, not only was I driving, but Lou was navigating! Double Jeopardy! Friday was no exception- but thankfully it was an easy detour- there was an accident at an exit and they diverted us off the highway and Edna (the GPS lady) told us to go past the turn that everyone else was turning on. Thankfully we listened to Edna because there was a gas station on our route and Not on the other route (potty break.)  I did miss an exit due to traffic- Since we don't even have a stoplight in our town, next time I have to drive in Chicago traffic, I am going up to Rockford a couple days beforehand, just to get used to city traffic.  By the time we left the convention center, I was used to the traffic and ready to drive more! 

the original picture was really blurry so
 I "screened" it on picnik and Voila! Now it's just fun!
 

woo- hoo we found it!
 





The Expo was ALOT of fun- We appliqued tea towel with a tea pot, learned to screen print a silk scarf and learned how to needle felt on the same scarf.  We also made a flower out of fabric  (which I want to try with paper too.) There were amazing quilts, long arm quilting machines to test drive, fabrics, threads, Quilting and sewing gadgets, knitting supplies and so many things to look at and drool over. One of the booths even gave away template keychains  to make HST's! I love freebies!


yellow arrow shows the fabric flower
purple arrow shows Mommie's painted finger
They gave away four sewing machines and alot of goodies. I actually won a gift certificate from the booth where we learned the needle felting and screen printing. Cindy is a fun teacher. Our class had alot of laughter. Her website is http://www.sewingart.com/ I hope to be able to take another class from her at the next expo!  I was able to get some very fun patterns that I can't wait to play with and a book about upside down bobbin stitching- I am sure I will be posting more about that in the coming days!
One of the vendors had such a pretty display
of fabric, I went back to their booth 5 or 6 times,
just to look at them again!
All of the fabric was folded in a nice design-
Laginappe- a little extra!
I think the Expo inspired me to sew this weekend- I completed 2 table runners and a chicken pincushion. 


 (both tutorials courtesy of Deonn at Quiltscapes) The table runners worked up very quickly and I even played a bit with the quilting on them. The chicken took about ten minutes to make and is so stinkin cute- I am sure I will be making a whole herd of these guys.  (Duh! Bobbie- it's a flock of chickens not a herd) 



I also found the right fabric to finish the back of my Domestic Bliss Granny Squares- I think I just found the right name- Granny's Domestic Bliss! I started quilting it on Monday night and decided to play a bit - it's time consuming but I am enjoying myself. I do need to get a cushion for my chair though, the nether regions are becoming sore!
Check back tomorrow for more Fabric fun and Teacup Thursday!

1 comment:

Deonn said...

Wow, Bobbie, you are one busy quilter! Looks like you had a great week of quilting bliss, especially if you can share it with family. Love your little Spring Posy toppers, they're adorable! And I'd love to see your herd (brood?) of chickens, too! Haha, keep it up!